PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

9.14.2014

Word of Wisdom Family Home Evening

 
Hello friends!  This week we are taking a break for our Book of Mormon lessons to talk a little bit about the Word of Wisdom.  My 5 year old has been asking a lot of questions about this topic lately, and I think FHE is the perfect place to tackle those questions as a family!
 
To get started, I made this printable of the beautiful promise we are given in D&C if we will follow the Word of Wisdom.  It was a great reminder to me to read through all that we have been promised if we will take care of these wonderful bodies that we have been given by Heavenly Father.
 
 
We spent a few minutes talking about how the revelation came about, and how at that time, people had no idea of the harmful effects of tobacco and other things.  After we read through a few verses we did a fun little activity the kids liked that was great for my 5-year old little guy that has a really hard time sitting still for a WHOLE family home evening lesson ;)
 
First I made up these signs to tape up on the wall
 


 
 
 
Then I printed off this list and cut each item out and put them in a little bucket.

 
Then the kids took turns picking out a paper from the bucket.  When we read it aloud the kids would have to run and tag the sign depending on how often we should have or do that thing...always, sometimes or never!
 


Such a simple activity, but a fun way for the kids to be involved!  The thing we focused on most with our kids was making the decision NOW to obey the Word of Wisdom.  That way when they are confronted later with those hard choices they will be able to go back to the commitment they had made to themselves years before and stay strong to what they believe.
 
Thank you so much for stopping by today, I hope you have had a beautiful Sabbath with those that you love!
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Kristy

Tonii, I've been meaning to thank you for quite a long time for the time you put into this blog- I have 5 kids and I've been swimming in a deep depression for years, trying to stay afloat and knowing that I have been falling short teaching my children the gospel and doing fun things with them. Your ideas for FHE and fun things for the kids have been a blessing to me at a time when I needed the extra help! And your messages are always timely- I have been trying to figure out how to organize all our homework and I LOVE this post- it helps me immensely!!! Your joy as a mother shows and lifts everyone who sees it. Thank you!

Unknown

Such a fun activity! Thanks for sharing it!